Wednesday, September 19, 2012

No office day??

My leadership style as a vice principal has always been to be out in the hallways, classrooms, and cafeteria. I am in this role in education because I love teachers and students so I strongly desire to spend my whole day with them.

Now that I've been in school for 10 days, my desk and office space feel very neglected and it shows. Walking in my office you will be greated by piles of paperwork that haven't been touched and instead has been tossed on the desk to "deal with later". With the implementation of an iPad, I am successful in replying to e-mails in a timely fashion as I walk from one classroom to the next. However, due to the paperwork issue, I am beginning to feel the stress.

My solution? I have made an appointment on my calendar this afternoon with myself and my office. My secretary is able to see my calendar as well so I entitled it "locking myself in this office to find my desk.... shhhhh....." For that hour, my door will be locked, blinds closed, and I will not answer the phone or e-mail while I deal with the piles. I need to view this as a one hour chore that needs to get tackled so I can spend the bulk of my time out and about in the school environment.

Fellow administrators who share my philosophy of getting out of your office, do you have any helpful tips regarding getting this paperwork done? I'd love to learn from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment